Search Host Controller Service in "Starting" state

11. October 2012 18:44 by marco in PowerShell, SharePoint, SharePoint 2013  //  Tags:   //   Comments (2)

On my SharePoint 2013 developer machine I had an issue with the Search Service.

On the "Services on Server" page, the "Search Host Controller Service" showed the status "Starting". After some googling on Bing, I found a post on the Microsoft Forum. Thanks to "SPJeff" here is the solution:

Copy the following script to a new .ps1 file and execute it within the SharePoint PowerShell console (run as (Farm-) Administrator):

$acl = Get-Acl HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName
$person = [System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]"Users"
$access = [System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::FullControl
$inheritance = [System.Security.AccessControl.InheritanceFlags]"ContainerInherit, ObjectInherit"
$propagation = [System.Security.AccessControl.PropagationFlags]::None
$type = [System.Security.AccessControl.AccessControlType]::Allow
$rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule($person, $access, $inheritance, $propagation, $type)
$acl.AddAccessRule($rule)
Set-Acl HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName $acl

$sh = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {$_.TypeName -eq "Search Host Controller Service"}
$sh.Unprovision()
$sh.Provision($true)

After a reboot everything is now working as expected:

image

Comments (2) -

Martin Schlenker
1/2/2013 10:35:34 AM #

Marco,
great post ! Thanks. I can confirm, this .ps1 works like it should and solve the issue. Just to mention, I did NOT re-boot the server and it works. May this helps others to implement the solution into a running system without being afraid to re-boot the server(s).

Happy new year and thanks
Martin Schlenker

Tsvetelin Pavlov
4/21/2013 2:22:37 PM #

I had the same issue - my farm was three-tier, streamlined topology - DB, App and WFE. All with Windows Server 2012, SQL 2012, SharePoint 2013 RTM. I tried everything I found in internet, but the host controller service didn't started. My resolution was to add all features from .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.5, including all kind of WCF activations (except MSMQ activation).

Comments are closed